Creative looks, convenient easy opening and controlled barrier – the possibilities are endless
The technology adds important functionality to the packaging by enabling easy-opening with maintained barrier integrity or extending the shelf-life of respiring products such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Laser perforation also gives great opportunities for creative packaging design elements such as windows and easy portioning instructions.
- Controlled easy-opening
- Integrated portioning instructions
- Extended shelf life
- Attractively shaped windows
The laser perforation process selectively weakens specific layer(s) of the packaging material whilst ensuring that only the wanted characteristics are achieved. The process delivers a controlled score depth for tear initiation and guided tear but also controlled gas or moisture barrier.
The laser scoring is made in-line in the AR Packaging productions processes and no modifications are necessary in the packaging lines at the customers. Individual laser patterns can be produced in register with the print design.
Easy and safe to open
- User-friendly opening - no need for scissors and no product spillage
- Entire tear line is visible and can be used as design element
- Defined tear initiation and structure gives the user a controlled opening and guided tear
- Barrier properties remain unchanged since only the outer of the packaging films is perforated
- Tailored permeability by fine laser perforations (micro holes)
- Exact micro hole size and frequency is customised to match the respiration of each individual packed product
- A controlled gas exchange ensures that the content stays fresh for longer
- The packaging “breathes” similar to how the packed fresh fruit or vegetable respirate
- Unique laser scored features and designs added to the packaging
- Laser cut windows as design elements and make content visible when using paper based laminate
- Add extra features such as easy portioning/dosing instruction
- Chilled and frozen food
- Any on-the-go food product
- Dry food and snacks
- Medical devices such as wound care & plasters